TRD 2000GT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets

+5
krnyoshi
rove
ayresyboy
d-peg
Admin
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets Empty TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets

Post  Admin Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 pm

It's taken me nearly a year to try and track down some seat brackets and I've only managed to get hold of a driver's side set so I'm looking to get a mirror image set made to make the passenger side.

I decided to make some patterns to find out what the original sheet material looked like. I took each bracket in turn and covered them in sticky back plastic:

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatBrackets006

Trimmed off all the excess

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatBrackets007

Cut out the holes

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatBrackets008

Seat bracket covered and trimmed

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatBrackets009

Then I carefully peeled off the covering being exceptionally carefully not to stretch or deform the film

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatBrackets010

Then re-stuck it down on some cardboard

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatBrackets011

Then outlined it in pencil to end up with a life size pattern I repeated the process for the other 3 brackets which are all slightly different and this is what I ended up with.

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20RHRearSeatBracket18APattern

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatBracketsOverviewRear

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20RHRearSeatBracket18BPattern

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20RHRearSeatBracket18BUnderside

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20RHRearSeatBracket18CPattern

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20RHFrontSeatBracket18AOverviewRear

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20RHRearSeatBracket18DPattern

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatBrackets18D005

measurements ive taken are:

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatFitting18A001

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatFitting18A003

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatFitting18A002

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatFitting18A004

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatBrackets18D012

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDSW20SeatBrackets18D011

The small holes are 8mm and the large holes are 15mm except the one on the 18D bracket which is 12mm for some reason

If anyone can help with smartening up the drawings/have them fabricated out of 3mm steel/ laser cut etc I'd like to hear from you! :-)

Last edited by Admin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

https://trd2000gt.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets Empty Re: TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets

Post  d-peg Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:26 am

These have been CAD'd this week and are in for profiling Tues/Wed. Should have them folded & welded by weeks end although i have my American bosses over and homework has to be hidden Smile

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets NewPicture8

Patterns were excellently done although quite the opposite to what's needed! When making brackets with folds in you work to the inside dimensions as material stretches and the inside remains constant. In this case it was impractical, if not impossible to do so had to factor in the added material or stretch. not that easy but hopefully we should be within a couple of millimetres .... or in other words "within tolerance"

d-peg

Back to top Go down

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets Empty Re: TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets

Post  Admin Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:21 am

Excellent work - hopefully this will encourage others not to "butcher" their lovely TRD seats up and fit the (semi)real brackets! Top work :-)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  d-peg Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:07 am

Brackets are in and being folded today with a bot of luck. Would like to get them over to you before Xmas Smile

d-peg

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:16 am

d-peg wrote:..... Would like to get them over to you before Xmas Smile

Me too!!!! LOL Cant wait to show them off. If poss can you take photos (phone camera will do) so we can show folks the process? (I believe the processes and macjhinery involved are pretty impressive)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  d-peg Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:29 am

These are the laser profiled parts (already marked for folding). Laser cuts steel with a beam of light 0.3mm wide; making for extremely accurate parts. The divergance (cut angle perpendicular to the plate) is minimal on these sort of thicknesses too giving extremely square edges. You'll note the front brackets have an added piece of steel on them. We've had to to this in order to cross the press tooling. The extra bit will be cut off once formed.

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets IMG_0866

This is the machine we'll use to form them. It's a 160tonne brake press. (2) extremely large hydraulic cylinders either end of a 3m long beam. It can fold 2.5m long x 10mm thick stainless steel. If you do not respect this machine it will kill you.

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets IMG_0867

d-peg

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:17 am

Top work there - very impressed :-) :-)

Cant wait to see finished product!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  d-peg Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 am

Here you go Jeff... all done. Smile

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets IMG_0865

I can't get to the postie until after Xmas though. So will send them between xmas and new year - probably wednesday ok Smile

d-peg

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:38 am

Wow they look top notch! :-) Bit nervous now though in case I got my measurements wrong....! LOL

Not gonna sleep tonight

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  d-peg Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:25 am

Sorry Jeff,

Should have let you know i posted these out yesterday lunchtime.

pm on it's way.

d-peg

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:03 am

Ah brilliant - thank you! :-) Ill post some pics up soon as I put them in

Last edited by Admin on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:44 am

Look what arrived today :-)

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDDIYSeatBrackets001

There was both the drivers and passenger side in there so I temporarily installed them without the seat until I could find a set of 4 where all the holes lined up - hope Ive used the right ones! LOL (rear inner looks wonky but thats just coz the bolt is loose and I'd twisted it round - it does line up.

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDDIYSeatBrackets003

Once I'd decided which ones to use I then unbolted from floor and attached to the seat - not got the right nuts at the moment so had to use some I found in the garage for time being.

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDDIYSeatBrackets004

So now I'm getting a bit nervous - are they going to fit......?????!!!!

Passenger seat front inner is good :-)

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDDIYSeatBrackets010

Passenger seat front outer good :-)

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDDIYSeatBrackets011

Hows about that for a bit of engineering - hold for the rear inner lines up

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDDIYSeatBrackets007

In the bolt goes

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDDIYSeatBrackets008

Just the rear outer now...will it...wont it.....

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDDIYSeatBrackets009

RESULT!!! Absolutely spot on :-)

As you can see from pics it was getting dark so not done the drivers side yet but very confident it will turn out just as well - cant thank Dan enough for his very kind favour hes done - top man!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  d-peg Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:40 am

That's bloody excellent Jeff - they look spot on mate. I have to say the fronts were fairly simple but am AMAZED the rears line up so well.

Im pleased your happy with them mate and pleased you can finally get a pair of TRD seats in your car buddy Smile

Considering the grief and, to be honest, blatant underhandedness with the original set, it's a result Smile

Dan

If anybody else needs these brackets please give me a buzz

d-peg

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 am

I'm like a dog with 2 tails...or should I say a TRD owner with 2 seats! LOL

Ill fit the other side tomorrow so you can see a pair in - just ran out of light today.

Once again many thanks!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:45 am

Yet another not so good photo due to dark bu both seats are no win car. Daylight pics to follow in next few days...

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDDIYSeatBrackets012

Closer look at mounting brackets.

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets TRDDIYSeatBrackets014

Dan - just wondering - Id like to make these black so they look like originals - what's the best way to do it? ie. powder coat, paint, plate etc.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  d-peg Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Not entirely sure but i seem to recall from the debacle of you trying to buy those original ones that it was some sort of Chemical Black. This would be cleaned and dipped in a chemical to "pickle" the surface to turn it black. But this doesn't last all that well in damp conditions (as in a winter's MR2 cockpit lol)

So i would favour a simple black powdercoat. It would take a real discearning eye to notice the difference but as long as it's not knocked or chipped it will last indefinitely.

d-peg

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Finally managed to take a better photo with the seats in place :-)

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets ThrottleBody005

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  d-peg Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Looking good!

d-peg

Back to top Go down

Post  ayresyboy Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:02 am

I'm going to need some of these brackets now :-)
ayresyboy
ayresyboy

http://www.kentcarclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  d-peg Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:05 am

Wondering when you might ask Andy Smile

d-peg

Back to top Go down

Post  ayresyboy Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:10 am

Right now ;-) Pleeeeaaaaasssseeee may I purchase some of your super duper TRD seat brackets for these beauties that are winging there way to me...

TRD Sports Seat - Making Copies of the Installation Brackets IMG_8623

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ayresyboy
ayresyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  d-peg Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:12 am

Jeff - can you do me a favour please? I need confirmation on the rears as to which is the inside bracket (tank side) and which is the outside (sill side). I think the front ones are close enough the same to make little or no difference.
Thanks,
Dan

Andy - i'll up the quantity i am having lasered next week sometime hopefully.

d-peg

Back to top Go down

Post  ayresyboy Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:15 am

Andy - i'll up the quantity i am having lasered next week sometime hopefully

Thanks Dan
ayresyboy
ayresyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:30 am

I could do with another too if thats ok???!!! ;-')

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  d-peg Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:31 am

sure Jeff - no bother at all Smile

d-peg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next